All cells have a similar structure.
The small structures found in cells are called organelles.
– It is the control center of the cell, it tells the cell what to do.
– It is found in both plant and animal cells.
– It contains the genetic information of the cell.
– Reproduction of DNA and RNA takes place in the nucleus.
– It controls the chemical activities that take place in the cell.
CELL MEMBRANE (also called the Plasma Membrane)
– It is made up of proteins and lipids
– It is a structure that surrounds the cell and controls the flow of material into and out of the cell.
– It helps regulate the flow of materials in and out of the cell. Smaller particles can pass through the membrane and larger particles can’t.
– It defines the size and shape of the cell and provides protection and strength to the cell.
CELL WALL (found in plants, bacteria and fungi)
– It is a supportive, protective structure that surrounds the cell membrane.
– Materials can easily pass through this wall.
– It is a gel-like substance that fills the entire cell’s volume.
– All of the other organelles live in the cytoplasm.
– It is made up of 90% water, sugar, amino acids and salts.
– It provides a liquid environment for chemical reactions to take place.
– All of the cells chemical reactions take place in the cytoplasm.
– It is the collection of membranes that form channels throughout the cytoplasm.
– It is a tiny network in the cytoplasm that carries materials around the cell, like a miniature highway system.
– The channels separate sections of the cell where specific chemical reactions take place.
– The surface of the channels provide space for enzymes to perform chemical reactions.
– The channels also help move chemicals to their destinations inside the cell.
– There are 2 types of endoplasmic reticulum:
– 1. ROUGH ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM (It is lined with protein ribosomes on it’s surface. The ribosomes are where protein is synthesized).
– 2. SMOOTH ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM (It has no ribosomes. It is where lipids are synthesized).
– They are the smallest organelle in the cell.
– They are tiny granules that can exist as free floating organelles in the cytoplasm or on the surface of the rough endoplasmic reticulum.
– They are the site of protein synthesis.
– They are involved in building proteins from amino acids.
– They usually exist in two parts; they come together when it is time to work.
– They contain 3 main types of RNA.
– The RNA found in the ribosomes function in protein synthesis and is called rRNA (ribosomal RNA).
GOLGI BODIES or APPARATUS
– They are made up of stacks of flattened membranes that package chemicals for removal from the cell.
– They function in areas of the cell where the products of the endoplasmic reticulum, like proteins or lipids are stored and packages for transport to their final destination outside the cell.
– The proteins and lipids are enclosed in small membranes for travel.
– It is the site of protein modification into more complex molecules.
– They are a bag-like structure in the cytoplasm.
– They store food in both plant and animal cells.
– They are usually large in plants and small in animals.
– They store water and other nutrients used by plant and animal cells.
– Different kinds of vacuoles have different functions, ex: some store sap (maple, pine trees) others store toxins.
– They are single layered membrane-enclosed storage vesicles that contain digestive enzymes.
– It dissolves large food molecules and breaks up old and damaged cell structures into the organic molecules that they are made of. These molecules are then reused by the cell.
– It is the power house of the cell, where aerobic respiration and energy production take place.
– It is often one of the largest organelles in the cytoplasm.
– It is found in both plant and animal cells.
– It contains DNA and ribosomes, it is semi-autonomous and it can replace itself.
– It is enclosed in a double membrane.
– The smooth outer membrane is highly permeable to small items but it blocks the passage of larger items.
– The inner membrane has many folds that have enzymes that help with cellular respiration.
– It is oval shaped and contains the enzymes to aid the cell in getting energy from food.
– It converts food to usable energy,
– The energy released from food is stored in a high energy molecule called ATP (adenosine triphosphate).
– ATP supplies the cell with chemical energy.
– It is the skeleton of the cell, it gives the cell its rigidity and support.
– It consist of hallow microtubules and solid microfilaments.
– They are the support structures of the cell; they support the shape of the cell, like a skeleton.
– They are small, thin support tubes that cross the inside of the cell membrane to membrane.
– They have many functions, including movement (cell mobility) and the separation of chromosomes during cell division.
– They are tiny threads of long protein fibers.
– They provide cellular support, when they combine with other proteins.
– They participate in muscle contractions.
– During cell division they form a ring that pinches the cell in 2.
Pingback: Quiz # 1: The Cell Study Guide | A & P Tutor
Pingback: Practice Quiz Key #1: The Cell | A & P Source
Hi there! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for your great info you’ve got
right here on this post. I will be returning to
your web site for more soon.
Thank you very much! I hope it has been useful to you.
I’m really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on
your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.
Thank you very much. The theme is one of the freebies. I hope you find the information useful.
Saved as a favorite, I love your blog!
Thank you very much!
Gоod day! Ι simply wish to offer you a big thumbs up for
your gгeat info you’ve got right here on this post.
I will be coming back to your blоg for more soon.
I just cоuldn’t go aωay уour websіtе prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual information an individual supply to your guests?
Is gonna be back steadily in order to check up on neω ρosts
Thanks, I hope it was helpful.
Woah! Ӏ’m really digging the template/theme of this site.
It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’ѕ hard to get thаt “perfect balance” between user friendliness and ѵisual appeal.
I must say you have done a excellent job with this.
Additionally, the blog loadѕ eхtremely fast foг me оn Firefox.
Thanks for the feedback.
It’s hard to find knowledgeable people in this particular topic, however,
you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks
Thank you. I hope you find the information helpful.
Hey would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re working with?
I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a fair price?
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
I am new to all of this, so I’m not sure I will be of much help. But this site is hosted on wordpress.
Hi there! I could havе sworn I’ve bewn to this blog Ƅefore
but after going through many of the aгticles I realized it’s new to mе.
Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I came across it and
I’ll be booк-marking it anԀ checking back frequeոtly!
WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for keywords
Hello there! This post could not be written much better!
Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept
talking about this. I will send this post to him. Pretty
sure he will have a very good read. Thanks for sharing!
What’s up, after reading this remarkable piece of writing i am too delighted to share my experience here with friends.
Valuable information. Lucky me I found your web site by accident, and I am shocked why this accident did not came about in advance!
I bookmarked it.
Hi, yeah this post is genuinely nice and I have learned lot of things from
it about blogging. thanks.
Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide
credit and sources back to your webpage? My website is
in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would
genuinely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
Please let me know if this ok with you. Appreciate it!
Please, be my guest.
I was suggested this website via my cousin. I am now not
positive whether this post is written by him as nobody
else understand such specified approximately my difficulty.
You’re wonderful! Thank you!
Thank you! I,m glad your found it useful.
I have learn several good stuff here. Definitely worth
bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you put
to make the sort of great informative site.
Saved as a favorite, I love your website!
Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit
and sources back to your webpage? My website is in the
exact same niche as yours and my visitors would
genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you present
here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Many thanks!
Please feel free.
I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post
is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem.
You’re amazing! Thanks!
thanks for share!
You should take part in a contest for one of the
most useful websites on the net. I will recommend this website!
I have read several excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
I surprise how so much effort you place to create this
sort of wonderful informative web site.
Hey very interesting blog!
thanks for share!
hi genuinely your ideas regarding Cell Structure | Science Outlined Specially, your amazing post on this page https://scienceoutlined.com/2013/08/28/cell-structure/comment-page-1/ are seen as a critical Subject about
Thanks for a marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading
it, you will be a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back in the foreseeable future.
I want to encourage you continue your great posts, have a nice morning!
Valuable information. Fortunate me I discovered your website by chance, and I’m shocked why this twist of fate did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
Excellent article. I definitely love this website. Continue
the good work!
Hi, I do think this iis ann excellent web site. I stumbledupon itt 😉
I may return yet again since i have book marked it.
Moneyy annd freedom is the greatest wayy to change, may you be rich and
contijnue to help oother people.
Great post. I was checkingg constantly this blog and I’m impressed!
Extremely useful info specially the last part 🙂 I care ffor such
info a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a verty long time.
Thank you and best of luck.
Hey there! I’ve been following your website for a while now
and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Tx!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!
magnificent publish, very informative. I wonder why tthe other specialists of this sextor do not
realize this. You must continue your writing.
I am confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!
Your style is really unique compared to other people I
have read stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got
the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this page.